Instant Pot Palak - Kashmiri Spinach Lotus Stem - Nadru
This a delicious and super easy recipe with lotus root and spinach. You don't need onions or tomatoes and is cooked under 20 minutes.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time20 mins
Select sauté on the instant pot and adjust to normal.
Add oil to the pot.
When the oil is hot add, asafoetida.
Then add the finely chopped spinach. Stir and let the spinach sauté until it shrivels for roughly 2 minutes.
Then add salt, red chili powder, Kashmiri chili powder, ground cumin, and water. Sauté for about one minute and stir well.
Add the frozen lotus root. Stir well.
Scrape off the sides and bottom to make sure nothing is stuck on the sides or bottom.
Secure the lid on the pot and close the pressure-release valve.
Select manual and cook at high pressure for 4 minutes.
When cooking is complete, use quick release to depressurize. Open the lid.
Transfer the cooked spinach and lotus root to a serving bowl.
- This recipe has been tried on a 6-quart instant pot. The proportions may vary depending on the size of the instant pot you choose to use.
- Ground cayenne pepper and red chili powder can be used interchangeably as both of them make the dish spicy. If you don’t have red chili powder you can use cayenne pepper instead.
- Kashmiri red chili powder instantly imparts a vibrant red color to any dish and is not very spicy.
- Most of the spices/ingredients are available in the Indian grocery store or on Amazon.
- If you don’t eat spicy food you can reduce the amount of red chili powder.
- On a scale of 1 to 5, I would place this dish as a level 3 in terms of spice levels if cooked as is. You can modify it as per your taste.