Spicy Smashed Potatoes - Air Fryer Aloo Tuk
This Spicy Smashed Potatoes - Air Fryer Aloo Tuk recipe will deliver the most perfect potatoes – crispy and spicy on the outside, fluffy inside.
- 1.5 pounds baby potatoes (roughly 12 to 13 baby potatoes)
- 4 cups water (for boiling potatoes)
- 2 tbsp oil of choice
- 1 tsp mango powder (amchur/amchoor powder)
- 1 and 1/2 tsp salt (divided)
- 3/4 tsp red chili powder (cayenne pepper)
Scrub the baby potatoes clean if dirty and rinse them under running water. Remove and discard any sprouting areas.
Place the potatoes in a large Dutch oven or soup pot with 4 cups water and 1 tsp salt. The water should cover the potatoes by an inch.
Cook the potatoes until soft – It should take around 15 to 20 minutes. The potatoes should be firm and not mushy, however when you pierce a fork in it should go through. Drain the water and set them aside.
Generously grease a tray, cookie sheet, or an aluminum foil with oil. Next, place the potatoes on the greased tray. Then use a potato masher or the back of a glass to squish them, keeping them in one piece. Thin EQUALS crisper. They need to be about ¼ inch thick.
Brush each potato generously with oil.
Working in batches, place the potatoes in the air fryer basket a single layer. Cook in the Air Fryer at 400°F for 18 minutes or until the inner part in tender and the top is crisp. Every air fryer is different so please start checking after the 15-minute mark.
When the potatoes are cooking, make your spice mix by mixing dry mango powder, 1/2 tsp salt and red chili powder (cayenne pepper). And set it aside.
When done carefully transfer the air fried potatoes to a bowl. Moreover, sprinkle the spice mix on the potatoes and coat the potatoes well with the spice mix.
Serve warm as an appetizer/snack or even with lentils and rice.
- On a scale of 1 to 5 in terms of spice levels I would place this dish at 3.5 with 1 being low and 5 being high. You can increase or reduce the amount of red chili powder depending on your heat tolerance.
- Every air fryer is different so please check whether the potatoes are done after the 15 minute mark.