Saag Paneer Cheese Toast – Air Fryer Paneer Cheese Toast
Saag Paneer Cheese Toast – Air Fryer Paneer Cheese Toast - Elevate your next air fryer toast with spinach and paneer. What is Fastcurries’ trick to getting this toast, just right? Slather the bread with butter and cooked spicy paneer. Also, top it with cheese and then air fry it.
For the Paneer
- 1 and 1/2 cup paneer, crumbled (230 gms block)
- 1 tbsp oil of choice
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 onion, small (1/2 cup finely chopped)
- 1 serrano pepper, small (hari mirch), (1/2 tsp chopped)
- 1 tomato, small (3/4 cup finely chopped)
- 1 and 1/2 cups spinach (finely chopped)
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric (haldi)
- 1 tsp red chili powder (cayenne pepper)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp cilantro leaves, finely chopped (dhaniya ke patte)
For the toast
- 5 slices bread, large
- 4 tbsp butter, softened and unsalted
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
Crumble the paneer with a potato masher or your hand and set it aside.
Rinse and chop onions, tomatoes, spinach, cilantro leaves and serrano peppers finely.
Cook the paneer
Heat oil in a pan on medium heat. Then add the cumin seeds and let them sizzle. Further, add in onions and serrano peppers.
Sauté the onions for 2 to 3 minutes until they turn golden. Keep stirring. Once they turn golden, add in tomatoes, and cook until mushy for roughly 2 to 3 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Then add spinach and let it sauté for 2 minutes until it shrinks.
Furthermore, add in ground turmeric, red chili powder, salt, and garam masala. Stir well.
Then add in paneer.
Mix well and let the paneer cook for about a minute, not longer. Finally add in cilantro, and set it aside.
Prep the toast
When you are ready to cook, aggressively butter one side of each slice of bread with softened butter. Construct your toast by dividing the paneer evenly on all the 5 bread slices.
Add in shredded cheddar cheese first on all the slices and then topping the slices with shredded mozzarella cheese.
Place the bread slices in the air fryer basket and make sure they are separated out. If you don’t separate them out the cheese will melt and stick to each other. If your basket is small you can make 2 to 3 toasts at a time and repeat the batch.
Close the basket and set the time and temperature on the air fryer at 330°F for 5 minutes.
Once done, remove from toasts from the air fryer. The cheeses should be melted and slightly brown and the toast should be crisp and golden brown. Finally, place them on a plate, cut in half and experience the magic of deliciousness. Eat right away. If you keep it for too long it will get mushy.
- On a scale of spice levels of 1 to 5, with 1 being low and 5 being hot, I would place this dish at 3.5. The cheese balances out the peppers, so even though it sounds spicy its not. You can modify the amount of serrano peppers as per your spice tolerance.
- Make sure the butter is softened so that it spreads evenly and easily. To soften butter you can warm it up for a few seconds.
- You can reduce the amount of cheese if you desire.
- If you like it very cheesy you can add more cheese.
- I have used large bread slices. If you use regular it will probably result in more than 5 toasts.