Vegetables in White Sauce – Air Fryer Vegetable Au Gratin
Baked Vegetables in White Sauce – Air Fryer Vegetable Au Gratin is one of my favorite homemade sides. This dish is prepared with carrots, cauliflower, peas, and corn, as well as mozzarella cheese. The creamy, cheesy sauce gives this dish so much flavor. It’s a win-win for adults and kids alike!
- 3 and 1/2 cups frozen vegetables, mixed (corn, green beans, peas and carrots)
- 1/2 cup cauliflower florets, small (about 3 to 4 florets)
- 3 cups water (to boil veggies)
- 2 tbsp butter, unsalted
- 4 tbsp all purpose flour
- 3 cups milk, plain
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 and 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (you can add more or reduce)
- crushed red pepper (chili flakes to garnish), (optional)
In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour for about a minute to two minutes until well mixed.
Gradually whisk in the milk. Add in salt, sugar, ground black pepper, and garlic powder. Bring to a boil; cook and stir intermittently to avoid clumping for 5 to 7 minutes or until thickened. Turn off heat.
Further, add in the sauce over the vegetables placed in the pyrex bowl and top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
Air fry at 400°F for 3 to 5 minutes or until the cheese browns. The cheese can burn quickly so start checking after the 3-minute mark. Every air fryer is different so check regularly. You can increase or decrease the time as per your preference.
Remove and garnish with crushed red pepper. This is optional.
- Every air fryer is different so check regularly. You can increase or decrease the time as per your preference.
- In one air fryer it took me 5 minutes while in the other it took me 10 minutes. If really depends on the type of air fryer you have.
- The cheese can burn quickly so keep checking after the 3 minute mark. You need to pull it out once the cheese browns.
- When you boil the vegetables make sure that they dont get super mushy. They need to be firm and have a bite to it.