This Spicy Potato Curry – Instant Pot Kashmiri Aloo side dish is very simple and something you can make quickly with only a few ingredients. You’ll be surprised at how super delicious it is, with such little work! Plus it’s vegan and gluten free too!
What ingredients do I need to make Spicy Potato Curry – Instant Pot Kashmiri Aloo?
Oil, asafoetida (heeng), cumin seeds (jeera), yukon golden potatoes, Kashmiri chili powder, water, ground fennel (saunf powder), ground ginger (sonth powder), ground turmeric (haldi powder), ground cumin (jeera powder), and salt.
How do I make Spicy Potato Curry – Instant Pot Kashmiri Aloo?
Select sauté on the Instant Pot and adjust to normal. Second, add oil to the pot. Third, when the oil is hot add in asafoetida, and cumin seeds. Let them sauté for about a minute, keep stirring.
Furthermore add in chopped potatoes. Stir well and let the potatoes sauté for about 6 minutes until they are partially cooked. Since the potatoes are large, they need to be sautéed well.
Then add is Kashmiri chili powder and ¼ cup water. Stir and let it sauté for 30 seconds.
Further add in ground fennel, ground ginger, ground turmeric, ground cumin, salt and remaining ¾ cup water.
Mix well. Finally, close the lid and select manual/high pressure for 5 minutes. When cooking is complete, use quick pressure release to depressurize. Then, transfer the cooked dish in a serving bowl, and serve over steamed rice.
Tried this recipe yet? Give us a rating, comment below in the reply section and let us know what you think.
Moreover, try some of our other recipes:
Instant Pot Kashmiri Aloo / Instant Pot Spicy Potatoes
- Pressure Cooker
- 4 tbsp oil of choice
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida (heeng)
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 3 medium sized yukon golden potatoes, each potato cut into 8 pieces (approximately 2 and 1/4 cups washed, peeled, and chopped)
- 2 tsp kashmiri chili powder
- 1 cup water (divided)
- 2 tsp ground fennel (saunf powder)
- 1 tsp ground ginger (sonth powder)
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric (haldi powder)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin (jeera powder)
- 1 tsp salt
- Wash, peel, and chop the potatoes. Cut each potato into 8 pieces. It translates into approximately 2 and 1/4 cups of washed, peeled, and chopped potatoes.
- Select sauté on the instant pot.
- Add oil to the pot.
- When oil is hot (in about 30 seconds), add asafoetida, and cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds splutter, add the potatoes and stir well. Let the potatoes saute for about 6 minutes so that they get cooked slightly. Keep stirring to prevent them from sticking to the base of the pot. Then add Kashmiri chili powder, with 1/4 water, and stir.
- In about one minute, add ground fennel, ground ginger, ground turmeric, ground cumin, and salt. Stir well.
- Add the remaining 3/4 cup water. Stir well.
- Press cancel.
- Secure the lid on the pot and close the pressure-release valve.
- Select manual and cook at high pressure for 5 minutes.
- When cooking is complete, use quick pressure release to depressurize.
- Transfer the potatoes into a serving bowl.
- Serve hot over cooked white steamed rice or yellow rice.