Instant Pot Vermicelli Upma – Instant Pot Semiya Upma is really easy to make and a quick breakfast/snack item. The kids love it and it is a go to evening snack item in our home when the kids are hungry or have a playdate.
Vermicelli for Instant Pot Vermicelli Upma – Instant Pot Semiya Upma:
Firstly, I typically buy roasted vermicelli from the Indian store. Roasted vermicelli saves time. However, if you don’t have roasted vermicelli, then you can roast it in a pan. All you need to do is dry roast it in a pan on medium-heat. Moreover, it has to change color to light brown. Also, keep stirring in order to prevent the vermicelli from burning. Finally, take it out from the pan once it changes color.
Also, I use frozen organic vegetables. The mix that contains corn, peas, green beans, and carrots. Again, it is convenient. Most importantly, I personally feel that the vegetables are flash frozen and are very convenient to use. Besides, it saves me the trouble of chopping, peeling etc. Using frozen vegetables are definitely a time saver. You can choose to add your own choice of vegetables or even one kind if you wish.
I use roasted and salted cashews. It adds a crunch to the upma. You can buy any roasted and salted cashew brand. Specifically for me, I buy mine from Costco (Kirkland brand), Braums (fancy nuts), or even Walmart (Planters brand).
Serrano peppers or green chili pepper’s are totally optional. But, it definitely ads a kick and heat to the upma.
Here is the Instant Pot recipe. It is quick and super easy.
Tried this Instant Pot Vermicelli Upma – Instant Pot Semiya Upma recipe yet? Give us a rating, comment below in the reply section and let us know what you think.
Finally try some of our other recipes:
Instant Pot Vermicelli Upma / Instant Pot Semiya Upma
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp black gram lentils urad dal (split black gram)
- 1/2 tsp chana dal split chickpeas (split chickpeas)
- 2 to 3 serrano pepper, small slit into two halves lengthwise (optional, small hari mirch)
- 7 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida (heeng)
- 1/2 onion chopped (red, white, or yellow)
- 1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste (freshly minced or packaged)
- 1/2 cup frozen mixed vegetables (I used the mix with green beans, corn, peas, and carrots)
- 6 roasted and salted cashews nuts
- 1 and 1/2 cup roasted vermicelli
- 2 cups water
- 1 and 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric (haldi)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro finely chopped (optional)
- Wash and finely chop the onion and cilantro.
- Select sauté on the instant pot and adjust to normal.
- Add oil to the pot.
- When the oil is hot add the mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal, serrano pepper,and curry leaves.
- When the mustard seeds splutter add the asafoetida.
- Then in 30 seconds add the chopped onions. Keep stirring in order to prevent the onions from burning.
- When the onions turn golden in about 2 to 4 minutes add the ginger garlic paste. Stir.
- Add the frozen mixed vegetables, cashews, and sauté for a minute.
- Add the roasted vermicelli, water, salt and ground turmeric. Make sure nothing is stuck to the bottom of the pot and scrape the bottom of the pot well.
- Press cancel.
- Secure the lid on the pot and close the pressure-release valve.
- Select manual and cook at high pressure for 1 minute.
- Release the pressure naturally for 4 minutes. Then quick release the pressure.
- Transfer the vermicelli in a serving bowl.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of lemon juice in the vermicelli and fluff it.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- This recipe has been tried on a 6-quart instant pot. The proportions may vary depending on the size of the instant pot you choose to use.
- All the ingredients can be easily found in an Indian grocery store.
- The serrano peppers are totally optional. Add one for moderately spicy upma and two for very spicy.