Instant Pot Vermicelli Upma – Instant Pot Semiya Upma is really easy to make and a quick breakfast/snack item. The kids love it and it is a go to evening snack item in our home when the kids are hungry or have a playdate.
Vermicelli for Instant Pot Vermicelli Upma – Instant Pot Semiya Upma:
Firstly, I typically buy roasted vermicelli from the Indian store. Roasted vermicelli saves time. However, if you don’t have roasted vermicelli, then you can roast it in a pan. All you need to do is dry roast it in a pan on medium-heat. Moreover, it has to change color to light brown. Also, keep stirring in order to prevent the vermicelli from burning. Finally, take it out from the pan once it changes color.
Also, I use frozen organic vegetables. The mix that contains corn, peas, green beans, and carrots. Again, it is convenient. Most importantly, I personally feel that the vegetables are flash frozen and are very convenient to use. Besides, it saves me the trouble of chopping, peeling etc. Using frozen vegetables are definitely a time saver. You can choose to add your own choice of vegetables or even one kind if you wish.
I use roasted and salted cashews. It adds a crunch to the upma. You can buy any roasted and salted cashew brand. Specifically for me, I buy mine from Costco (Kirkland brand), Braums (fancy nuts), or even Walmart (Planters brand).
Serrano peppers or green chili pepper’s are totally optional. But, it definitely ads a kick and heat to the upma.
Here is the Instant Pot recipe. It is quick and super easy.
Tried this Instant Pot Vermicelli Upma – Instant Pot Semiya Upma recipe yet? Give us a rating, comment below in the reply section and let us know what you think.
Finally try some of our other recipes:
Instant Pot Pav Bhaji – Easy Mumbai Cheese Pav Bhaji
Instant Pot Vermicelli Upma / Instant Pot Semiya Upma
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp black gram lentils urad dal (split black gram)
- 1/2 tsp chana dal split chickpeas (split chickpeas)
- 2 to 3 serrano pepper, small slit into two halves lengthwise (optional, small hari mirch)
- 7 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida (heeng)
- 1/2 onion chopped (red, white, or yellow)
- 1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste (freshly minced or packaged)
- 1/2 cup frozen mixed vegetables (I used the mix with green beans, corn, peas, and carrots)
- 6 roasted and salted cashews nuts
- 1 and 1/2 cup roasted vermicelli
- 2 cups water
- 1 and 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric (haldi)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro finely chopped (optional)
- Wash and finely chop the onion and cilantro.
- Select sauté on the instant pot and adjust to normal.
- Add oil to the pot.
- When the oil is hot add the mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal, serrano pepper,and curry leaves.
- When the mustard seeds splutter add the asafoetida.
- Then in 30 seconds add the chopped onions. Keep stirring in order to prevent the onions from burning.
- When the onions turn golden in about 2 to 4 minutes add the ginger garlic paste. Stir.
- Add the frozen mixed vegetables, cashews, and sauté for a minute.
- Add the roasted vermicelli, water, salt and ground turmeric. Make sure nothing is stuck to the bottom of the pot and scrape the bottom of the pot well.
- Press cancel.
- Secure the lid on the pot and close the pressure-release valve.
- Select manual and cook at high pressure for 1 minute.
- Release the pressure naturally for 4 minutes. Then quick release the pressure.
- Transfer the vermicelli in a serving bowl.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of lemon juice in the vermicelli and fluff it.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- This recipe has been tried on a 6-quart instant pot. The proportions may vary depending on the size of the instant pot you choose to use.
- All the ingredients can be easily found in an Indian grocery store.
- The serrano peppers are totally optional. Add one for moderately spicy upma and two for very spicy.
You must log in to post a comment.
I’m an amateur cook but this recipie was so easy to follow and came out absolutely delicious! The hubby and me ate it all up real quick! Is also healthy and wholesome!
Thank you #fastcurries!
Thank you for your feedback. I am so glad you like it. Cant wait for you to try some more fastcurries. 😊