This Air Fryer Shrimp Tikka – Hariyali Shrimp Tikka recipe is easy enough for a quick weeknight dinner. This recipe is skimpy on prep time and splendid on flavor.
The meaning of tikka is an Indian dish made with small pieces of meat, sea food, chicken, or vegetables marinated in a spice mixture. Hariyali means green.
Authentic hariyali tikka is usually made with shrimp marinated in plain strained yogurt and spices, char-grilled in a clay oven known as a tandoor for remarkable barbecue flavors. I attempted this shrimp recipe in an air fryer, and it turned out great.
What type of shrimp do I use for Air Fryer Shrimp Tikka – Hariyali Shrimp Tikka?
I use frozen, peeled, deveined raw shrimp from Costco (31-40 count per pound), that is the large-sized shrimp. You can use whatever you have handy, just make sure, you follow the cup measurements. You can use fresh shrimp and small to medium sized shrimp as well. They need to be peeled and deveined. In order to thaw the frozen shrimp I placed them in a bowl of cold tap water in the sink and kept the water running gently for 5 minutes. When thawed pat the shrimp dry with a napkin.
What ingredients do I need for Air Fryer Shrimp Tikka – Hariyali Shrimp Tikka?
Greek yogurt: This is key. Plain yogurt won’t cut it. It tends to get watery. You need plain Greek yogurt or strained yogurt also known as hung yogurt in India. It basically means that the excess water is strained or drained out.
Fresh cilantro leaves, Serrano peppers, and mint leaves are needed for the hariyali flavor. The spices needed include: red chili powder, mango powder, ground cumin, ground coriander, ground turmeric, and garam masala.
Oil, salt, some water, and lemon juice.
Some people also use spinach but I haven’t. I love the flavor of mint and cilantro on its own.
Ginger garlic paste: I used packaged ginger garlic paste from the Indian store. You can also mince equal quantities of fresh ginger and garlic to make your own paste.
Lemon juice: I used the store-bought bottled lemon juice for the convenience factor. You can use either freshly squeezed lemon juice or store bought…..whichever works better for you.
What do I serve Air Fryer Shrimp Tikka – Hariyali Shrimp Tikka with?
- It can be served as an appetizer.
- It can be served with naan (Indian flat bread) as a part of a meal.
- Served as a side dish.
- It can also be served in lettuce as a low carb wrap.
Step 1: Firstly, grind the mint leaves, cilantro leaves, and Serrano peppers with 3 tablespoons of water in a blender.
Step 2: Further, add all the spices, 1.5 tbsp oil, yogurt, lemon juice, and salt. Mix well.
Step 3: Furthermore add in the shrimp and give it a good stir. Let it stay in the marinade for 20 minutes.
Finally, when you are ready to cook, grease your air fryer basket with some of the remaining oil. I grease mine by rubbing, brushing, or spraying, a little bit of oil on the bottom grate. Additionally, follow your air fryer directions for preheating to 350°F for 5 minutes. When it’s preheated, working in batches, place the shrimp in a single layer. Air fry for 7 minutes, at 350°F. Flip the shrimp and air fry for another 5 minutes.
Tried this recipe yet? Give us a rating, comment below in the reply section and let us know what you think.
Moreover, try some of our other recipes:
Air Fryer Spicy Tandoori Chicken
Air Fryer Spicy Amritsari Paneer Tikka
Air Fryer Shrimp Tikka – Hariyali Shrimp Tikka
- 2.5 cups shrimp (large frozen and deveined)
- 2 Serrano peppers (hari mirch)
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves (dhaniya ke patte)
- 1/4 cup mint leaves (pudeene kee pattiyaan)
- 3 tbsp oil of choice (divided)
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric (haldi)
- 1.5 tsp mango powder (amchur)
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin (jeera powder)
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander (dhaniya powder)
- 1 tsp red chili powder (cayenne pepper)
- Thaw the frozen shrimp.
- Grind the Serrano peppers, water, cilantro, and mint leaves in a blender.
- Mix 1.5 tbsp oil with all the other ingredients except shrimp. Stir well.
- Add shrimp in the marinade and coat it well. Let it sit in the marinade for 20 minutes in the refrigerator.
- When you are ready to cook, rub inside of air fryer basket with oil.
- Preheat the air fryer at 350°F for 5 minutes.
- Once it is preheated, place shrimp in the air fryer basket in a single layer. Do not overcoat the shrimp with the excess marinade. Discard the left over marinade.
- Air fry at 350°F for 7 minutes. Flip the shrimp with silicone tongs and air fry for another 5 minutes at 350°F.
- Remove the air fried shrimp.
- Serve with Indian flatbread or with lettuce wraps. It can be served as an appetizer on its own.
You must log in to post a comment.