Instant Pot Sukhe Aloo – Indian Stir-Fry Potatoes a home-style snack is my go-to carb comfort food.
In my opinion, this is a very adaptable dish. It can be served as a side to tortillas or naan. I love eating Instant Pot Sukhe Aloo – Indian Stir-Fry Potatoes over white rice, or even with scrambled eggs. In my experience, there are no rules for how to eat it.
This was a dish I treasured the most as a child. We ate it with roti (tortillas), rice, or dosa (south Indian pancake).
I attempted to make it in the Instant Pot. It was such a breeze.
What kind of potatoes do I need to make this?
I have used small to medium sized red potatoes. Alternatively, you can also make these with Yukon golden potatoes. The key is that the potatoes need to be diced small (1 inch to 1.5 inch cubes). Please do not chop them larger than 1.5 inches or else they will not cook well and will have a bite to them.
What ingredients do I need to make these potatoes?
Oil, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves, urad dal, chana dal, onion, Ginger garlic paste, ground turmeric, ground coriander, ground cumin, salt, red small to medium sized potatoes, Serrano peppers, garam masala, water, lemon juice, and fresh Cilantro.
And most importantly an Instant Pot.
How do I make this dish?
Firstly, rinse and finely dice the onion and cilantro. Next, slit the Serrano peppers lengthwise into 2 halves.
Further, peel and chop the potatoes in approximately 1 inch to 1.5 inch cubes. (No larger than 1.5 inch).
First, select saute on the instant pot and adjust to normal. Next, add oil.
Further, when the oil is hot add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves, urad dal, and chana dal.
Next, when the mustard seeds and cumin splutter add the chopped onions and ginger garlic paste.
Try some of our other recipes:
Instant Pot Indian Sukhe Aloo / Instant Pot Indian Style Stir-Fry Potatoes
- Instant Pot
- 9 red potatoes (small or medium sized, 2.3 pounds) (4 cups diced to 1 to 1.5 inch cubes)
- 5 tbsp oil of choice
- 1 tsp mustard seeds (rai)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 15 curry leaves
- 1 tsp black gram lentils (urad dal)
- 1 tsp split chickpeas (chana dal)
- 1 onion small (1 cup chopped)
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste (freshly minced or packaged)
- 3/4 tsp ground turmeric (haldi)
- 2 tsp ground coriander (dhaniya powder)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin (jeera powder)
- 1 and 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 serrano peppers (small) slit into two halves lengthwise (hari mirch)
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (either freshly squeezed or bottled)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro finely chopped
- Rinse and finely dice the onion and cilantro. Slit the Serrano peppers lengthwise into 2 halves.
- Rinse, peel and chop the potatoes in approximately 1 inch to 1.5 inch cubes. (No larger than 1.5 inch).
- Select sauté on the instant pot and adjust to normal. Add oil to the pot.
- When oil is hot (in about 30 seconds), add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves, urad dal, and chana dal.
- When the mustard seeds and cumin splutter add the chopped onions and ginger garlic paste.
- Keep stirring in order to prevent the onions from burning. When the onions turn slightly golden in about 2 to 3 minutes add ground turmeric, ground coriander, ground cumin, and salt. Give it a good stir.
- Add the diced potatoes and stir well.
- Add Serrano peppers, garam masala and water. Give it a good stir.
- Press cancel. Close the lid and select manual/high pressure for 4 minutes. When done quick release the pressure and open the lid right away. Finally add the lemon juice and cilantro.
- Serve with tortilla, rice, naan or dosa.