Instant Pot Achari Aloo – Potatoes in Pickled Spices is a spicy, tangy, and a sour potato dish. If you have a taste for pickles you are going to love this recipe. You cant go wrong with potatoes and pickles. It is super easy to make in an instant pot and doesn’t require onions or tomatoes.
Achari dishes for instance, achari chicken, potatoes, and others are made a lot in North India especially in the state of Rajasthan.
Achari spices can be store bought. However, I made this recipe by adding actual mango pickle in the potato dish. Additionally, I made it in the instant pot!
What ingredients do I need to make Instant Pot Achari Aloo – Potatoes in Pickled Spices?
Hope you like this recipe.
Tried this recipe yet? Give us a rating, comment below in the reply section and let us know what you think.
Try some of our other kashmiri recipes:
Instant Pot Achari Aloo – Potatoes in Pickled Spices
- 1.5 tbsp oil of choice
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 dried bay leaf (tej patta)
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds (methi seeds)
- 1/4 tsp kalonji seeds
- 12 baby potatoes washed, peeled and chopped into half.
- 3/4 tsp pomegranate powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder (ground cayenne pepper)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp mango pickle
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro finely chopped (dhaniya ke patte)
- Wash, peel, and chop the potatoes into 2 halves. Wash and chop the cilantro.
- Select sauté on the instant pot and adjust to normal.
- Add oil to the pot.
- When oil is hot, add cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds splutter, add the bay leaf.
- Then add fenugreek seeds, and kalonji seeds.
- In about 30 seconds, add the chopped and peeled potatoes, and stir.
- Then add pomegranate powder, red chili powder, and water. Stir.
- Add pickle, salt, and mix well. Make sure nothing is stuck to the bottom of the pot and scrape the bottom of the pot well.
- Press cancel.
- Secure the lid on the pot and close the pressure-release valve.
- Select manual and cook at high pressure for 7 minutes.
- Once cooking is complete, use natural pressure release to depressurize for 5 minutes. Then quick release the pressure.
- To dry out the extra water, select sauté and let the extra water evaporate for roughly 2 to 3 minutes. Stir gently.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Transfer in a serving dish right away. Discard the bay leaf.
- Serve with hot naan (Indian flatbread), roti, or paratha.
- This recipe has been tested in the 6-quart instant pot. The proportions may vary depending on the size of the pot.
- Most of these spices are available in Indian grocery stores.
- For pomegranate powder, you can either use the powder or crush pomegranate seeds in a blender.
- Kalonji seeds can be found in the Indian store or on Amazon.
- Ground cayenne pepper and red chili powder can be used interchangeably as both of them make the dish spicy. So if you don’t have red chili powder you can use cayenne pepper instead.