This Vermicelli Egg Pulao – Instant Pot Semiya Egg Pulao is really easy to make and a quick breakfast / snack item. The kids love it and it is a go to evening snack item in our home when the kids are hungry or have a play date. I look for different ways to make it. I have posted a vermicelli upma recipe and this recipe is more of a pulao style. Additionally, it includes whole spices like cinnamon, bay leaves, cloves and is topped off with scrambled egg.
And guess what, it is made in the Instant Pot.
Vermicelli for Vermicelli Egg Pulao – Instant Pot Semiya Egg Pulao:
I typically buy roasted vermicelli from the Indian store. Moreover, that saves me the trouble of roasting it separately. However, if you don’t have roasted vermicelli, then you can dry roast vermicelli in a pan or wok. All you need to do is dry roast the vermicelli on medium-heat and keep stirring occasionally. Also, the vermicelli needs to change color to light brown.
Keep stirring in order to prevent the vermicelli from burning. Take it out from the pan once it changes color.
I use frozen organic vegetables. The mix that contains corn, peas, green beans, and carrots. Again, it is convenient. I personally feel that the vegetables are flash frozen and are very convenient to use. It saves me the trouble of chopping, peeling etc. Using frozen vegetables are definitely a time saver. You can choose to add your own choice of vegetables or even one kind if you wish.
I use roasted and salted cashews. It adds a crunch to the vermicelli pulao. You can buy any roasted and salted cashew brand. I buy mine from Costco (Kirkland brand), Braums (fancy nuts), or even Walmart (Planters brand). You could also use raw cashew nuts.
Serrano peppers or green chili peppers are totally optional. It definitely adds a kick to the pulao, however, I don’t add serrano peppers when I make the vermicelli pulao for the kids. It tends to get too spicy for them. But I must admit…the pulao tastes great with serrano peppers.
Tried this Vermicelli Egg Pulao – Instant Pot Semiya Egg Pulao recipe yet? Give us a rating, comment below in the reply section and let us know what you think.
Finally try some of our other recipes:
Vermicelli Egg Pulao – Instant Pot Semiya Egg Pulao
- 2.5 tbsp oil of choice or ghee (clarified butter)
- 2 whole black cardamom pods
- 1 whole green cardamom pods
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 whole dried red chili peppers
- 1 cinnamon stick
about 2 inches (dalchini)
- 2 to 3 serrano peppers, small slit into 2 halves lengthwise (optional) (small hari mirch)
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida (heeng)
- 1/2 onion finely chopped (red, white, or yellow)
- 1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste
(freshly minced or packaged)
- 3/4 cup frozen mixed vegetables (I used the mix with green beans, corn, peas, and carrots)
- 8 cashew nuts (either roasted and salted or raw)
- 1 and 1/2 cup roasted vermicelli
- 2 cups water
- 1 and 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp lemon juice (or you can add more depending on taste)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro finely chopped (dhainya ke patte)
- Wash and finely chop the onion, cilantro, and slit the serrano pepper.
- Select sauté on the instant pot and adjust to normal.
- Add oil to the pot.
- When the oil is hot, add cardamoms, bay leaf, cloves, whole dried red chili peppers, cinnamon stick, and serrano pepper.
- Add asafoetida. Stir
- Add the chopped onions and keep stirring to prevent the onions from burning.
- When the onions turn golden in about 2 to 4 minutes add the ginger garlic paste. Stir.
- Add the frozen mixed vegetables, cashew nuts, and sauté for a minute.
- Add the roasted vermicelli, water, salt, and ground turmeric. Stir well. Make sure nothing is stuck to the bottom of the pot and scrape the bottom of the pot well.
- Press cancel.
- Secure the lid on the pot and close the pressure-release valve.
- Select manual and cook at high pressure for 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl crack open the eggs, add the black pepper, chili powder, and salt. Whisk the egg mixture with a fork.
- Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan on medium-heat. When the oil is hot, add the egg mix in the pan.
- Distribute the egg mixture evenly across the pan.
- Cook for about 2 to 4 minutes on medium-heat. Use a ladle to keep mixing in order to make scrambled eggs. Turn the heat off when the eggs are cooked.
- Meanwhile, when manual pressure is done and the instant pot beeps, release the pressure naturally for the vermicelli for 4 minutes. Then quick release the pressure.
- Transfer the vermicelli in a serving bowl and discard the bay leaf.
- Add the cooked scrambled egg mixture to the cooked vermicelli.
- Add the lemon juice and fluff it with a fork and mix well.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve hot.
- This recipe has been tried on a 6-quart instant pot. The proportions may vary depending on the size of the instant pot you choose to use.
- Ground cayenne pepper and red chili powder can be used interchangeably as both of them make the dish spicy. So if you don’t have red chili powder you can use cayenne pepper instead.