This instant pot Cumin Rice – Jeera, Matar and Coconut Rice al dente cumin, peas, and coconut rice is very easy to make and the perfect side dish. It has a mild coconut flavor, and a very distinctive earthy, nutty cumin flavor. Adding lemon juice is too subtle to notice, but it adds a bright freshness to the rice.
What ingredients do we need for Instant Pot Cumin Rice – Jeera, Matar and Coconut Rice?
I used bottled lemon juice and frozen peas. The peas needs to be thawed. I thawed them by keeping them in a bowl of cold water for a few minutes. You can use fresh peas too. Whatever you have handy.
I used coconut milk from a carton that I bought from the refrigerator section in the grocery store. The brand that I used was simple truth organic coconut milk. You can choose to use canned too. But make sure to shake the can so that the milk is mixed well.
Rice: I used long grain basmati rice but any long grain rice will work. In this recipe the rice will be al dente with each grain separated out. It tastes great and has a wonderful texture.
How am I going to make Instant Pot Cumin Rice – Jeera, Matar and Coconut Rice?
Rinse the rice a few times. Soak it for 20 minutes in 2 cups water and then discard all the water through a mesh strainer.
Select sauté on the instant pot add the oil. When the oil is hot add the cumin seeds.
When the seeds splutter add the peas and saute for about 30 seconds. Then add rice, coconut milk, water, salt, and lemon juice. Stir well.
Then close the lid and select manual/high pressure for 5 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and then quick release the pressure. Garnish with cilantro.
Tried this recipe yet? Give us a rating, comment below in the reply section and let us know what you think.
Finally, try some of our other recipes:
Instant Pot Cumin Rice- Jeera, Matar and Coconut Rice
- 1 cup long grained basmati rice (rinsed and soaked in 2 cups of water for 20 minutes)
- 1 tbsp oil of choice
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera seeds)
- 1/2 cup green peas (frozen and thawed)
- 3/4 cup coconut milk (unsweetened)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (freshly squeezed or bottled)
- 2 tbsp cilantro (fresh and finely chopped) (dhaniya ke patte)
- Rinse the rice well, then soak the rice in 2 cups of water for 20 minutes. Discard the water before cooking.
- Select sauté on the instant pot and adjust to normal.
- Add oil to the pot.
- When the oil is hot add cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds splutter add peas and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Then add the rice, coconut milk, water, salt and lemon juice. Mix well. Make sure the rice is under the liquid.
- Press cancel.
- Secure the lid on the pot and close the pressure-release valve.
- Select manual and cook at high pressure for 5 minutes.
- When cooking is complete, let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes and then quick release the remaining pressure.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.