Rice and Lentil Porridge -Instant Pot Khichdi is quick and easy to make. It’s a one pot rice and lentil Instant Pot meal. There’s something special about eating khichdi on a cold winter day.
Khichdi is meant to be a fairly mild, but the flavor of ghee and turmeric is deep. Oh so deep.
As a child, cold days of winter would often begin with the wonderful smell of khichdi cooked in the pressure cooker.
What is Khichdi?
Khichdi is made with rice and lentils. It’s a savory salty rice porridge that is often served for lunch or dinner. Khichdi is made with different spices and typically served with yogurt, pickle, potatoes, ghee, or chutney.
What ingredients to I need to make Rice and Lentil Porridge -Instant Pot Khichdi?
Rice, yellow split moong daal, ghee, cumin seeds, bay leaf, ground turmeric, water, salt, and asafoetida.
How do I make Rice and Lentil Porridge -Instant Pot Khichdi?
Firstly, rinse the lentils and rice a few times. Additionally, soak rice and lentils in water for about 20 minutes.
Further, when ready to cook select sauté on the instant pot and add ghee.
Furthermore, when the ghee is hot add asafoetida, cumin seeds, and bay leaf.
Additionally, when the cumin seeds splutter add the rice, lentils, water, turmeric, and salt.
And give it a good stir. Close the lid with the pressure valve sealed. Select manual for 12 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally for 6 minutes. Then quick release the pressure.
Finally, serve khichdi with yogurt, pickle, potatoes, ghee, or chutney.
Tried this recipe yet? Give us a rating, comment below in the reply section and let us know what you think.
Try some of our other recipes:
Rice and Lentil Porridge -Instant Pot Khichdi
- 1 cup basmati rice (long grain)
- 1/2 cup split yellow moong beans/lentils (split yellow moong dal/moong dal dhuli)
- 2 cups water (for soaking the rice and lentils)
- 2.5 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida (heeng)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 dried bay leaf (tej patta)
- 5.5 cups water (for cooking)
- 1 tsp ground turmeric (haldi)
- 1.5 tsp salt
- Rinse the lentils and rice a few times and discard the water.
- Soak the lentils and rice in 2 cups water for 20 minutes.
- Select sauté on the instant pot and adjust to normal.
- Add ghee to the pot. When the ghee is hot add asafoetida, cumin seeds, and the bay leaf.
- When the cumin seeds splutter add rice, lentils, and 5.5 cups water.
- Then add ground turmeric and salt. Give it a good stir.
- Press cancel. Secure the lid on the pot and close the pressure-release valve.
- Select manual and cook at high pressure for 12 minutes.
- When cooking is complete, let the pressure release naturally for 6 minutes.
- After 6 minutes are up use quick pressure release and open the lid. Discard the bay leaf.
- Serve hot with ghee, yogurt, pickle or chutney.