Kashmiri Rajma Shalgam – Instant Pot Kidney Beans and Turnip – Rajma Gogji
Healthy, delicious and full of protein this Kashmiri Rajma Shalgam – Instant Pot Kidney Beans and Turnip recipe is just perfect for dinner and easy to prepare too! This dish is low in fat and high in flavor. The turnip adds a great texture and flavor to the beans. A perfect one-pot wonder for a weekday supper.
Kashmiri rajma shalgam doesn’t require onions or tomatoes. All you need are the regular Kashmiri spices: ground fennel, ground ginger, asafoetida (heeng), kashmiri chili powder and cumin seeds (jeera).
Kashmiri’s call Rajma Shalgam as Rajma Gogji. It is a perfect comfort food.
What kidney beans do I use fo Kashmiri Rajma Shalgam – Instant Pot Kidney Beans and Turnip – Rajma Gogji?
Kashmiri’s typically use dried red kidney beans, either small or large. In India, my family buys Rajma from Jammu, a city in North India. Rajma from Jammu are typically small in size. The Mexican small red kidney beans look similar to those. However, I have used the dry light red kidney beans. I rinse and soak these overnight and discard the water in the morning. I typically buy these from an Indian grocery store. You can also use the dark version.
How do I make this recipe?
It is very simple. Rinse the red kidney beans a few times. Soak 1 cup of dry red kidney beans in 3 cups of water for at least 6 to 8 hours. I typically soak them overnight.
When you are ready to cook, rinse and peel the turnip. Cut the turnip into cubes, roughly 2 to 3 inch each pieces each. I typically cut about 8 to 12 pieces per turnip depending on the size of the turnip.
Drain all the water out from the kidney beans.
Firstly, select sauté on the instant pot. Further, add oil to the pot. When the pot is hot add cumin seeds and asafoetida. Furthermore, when the seeds splutter add the chopped turnip and ½ tsp kashmiri red chilli powder. Also, give it a stir. Let the turnips sauté for about 2 to 3 minutes until they turn slightly golden. Remove them from the pot. You cannot pressure cook the turnips and beans for the same duration. The turnips will get mushy. Additionally, the turnips need to be pressure cooked only for 10 minutes. That is the reason we need to remove them from the pot after sautéing.
Once you remove the turnips, add the kidney beans, water, the remaining kashmiri chili powder, ground fennel, ground ginger, salt and cloves. Stir, close the pressure sealing valve and select manual for 25 minutes.
When cooking is complete, quick release the pressure and open the lid. Add the turnips back into the pot and add 1 tablespoon whipped yogurt. Stir. The yogurt needs to be at room temperature and whisked well in order to prevent curdling. Close the lid, seal the valve, and select manual/high pressure for 10 minutes. When 10 minutes are up quick release the pressure.
Tried this recipe yet? Give us a rating, comment below in the reply section and let us know what you think.
Try some of our other recipes:
Kashmiri Rajma Shalgam – Instant Pot Kidney Beans and Turnip
- 3 tbsp oil of choice
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida (heeng)
- 1 turnip (roughly 1.5 cups when chopped)
- 2 tsp kashmiri chili powder (divided)
- 1 cup light red dry kidney beans (rajma) (washed and soaked in 3 cups of water overnight)
- 2 cups water
- 2.5 tsp ground fennel (saunf powder)
- 1 and 1/4 tsp ground ginger (sonth)
- 1 and 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 whole cloves (laung)
- 1 tbsp plain full fat yogurt (whisked at room temperature)
- Wash and soak the kidney beans overnight in 3 cups water. Discard the water that was used to soak the beans overnight before cooking.
- When ready to cook, rinse and peel the turnip. Chop it into 2 to 3 inch cubes.
- Keep the yogurt in a bowl out of the refrigerator and whisk it with a spoon.
- Select sauté on the instant pot and adjust to normal.
- Add oil to the pot. When the oil is hot add the cumin seeds and asafoetida.
- When the cumin seeds splutter add the chopped turnip and 1/2 tsp Kashmiri chili powder. Let the turnip cubes saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Keep stirring. Then take the turnip cubes out of the pot and keep them aside in a plate.
- Add the kidney beans, 2 cups water, the remaining 1.5 tsp Kashmiri chili powder, ground fennel, ground ginger, salt and cloves to the pot. Stir.
- Scrape off the sides and bottom of the pot to make sure nothing is stuck on the sides or bottom. Press cancel.
- Secure the lid on the pot and close the pressure-release valve.
- Select manual and cook at high pressure for 25 minutes.
- When cooking is complete, use quick release to depressurize. Open the lid. Add the turnips cubes back into the pot. Add the whipped yogurt to the pot and stir well.
- Secure the lid on the pot and close the pressure-release valve. Select manual and cook at high pressure for 10 minutes.
- When cooking is complete, use quick release to depressurize.
- Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Enjoy with steamed rice.
- This recipe has been tried on a 6-quart instant pot. The proportions may vary depending on the size of the instant pot you choose to use.
- Most of the spices/ingredients are available in the Indian grocery store or on Amazon.
- Kashmiri red chili powder instantly imparts a vibrant red color to any dish and is not very spicy.
- This dish is not very spicy. On a scale of 1 to 5, I would place it at 2.5. It is supposed to be very flavorful.