Spread the love
ref="#wprm-recipe-container-632" data-recipe="632" style="color: #333333;" class="wprm-recipe-jump wprm-recipe-link wprm-jump-to-recipe-shortcode wprm-block-text-normal">Jump to Recipe
Instant Pot Radish Vegetable / Instant Pot Kashmiri Radish Vegetable
This recipe is an authentic Kashmiri dish. It is delicious and doesn't require onions or tomatoes. Radish is a vegetable that is not cooked often in most cuisines and is mostly eaten as salad. There aren't many Indian cooked radish recipes out there.Monj Chetin in Kashmiri is translated as mooli chatni. It is made by grating white long radish and sautéing the grated radish in spices and oil. It is extremely easy to make.Radish is very high in fiber and nutrients.This recipe can be named as many things. For example: Instant Pot Radish Vegetable, Instant Pot Grated Radish Chatni, Instant Pot Kashmiri Radish Vegetable, Instant Pot Mooli Ki Sabzi, and Instant Pot Monj Chetin (this is the Kashmiri name of this dish).How do we make Kashmiri Monj Chetin in the instant pot and what do we need?We need 2 long radishes, oil of choice, 1 bell pepper (optional), cayenne pepper, ground fennel, salt, ground ginger, and diced walnuts (optional).All we need to do is wash the radish well and peel the skin. Then grate the radish and press it to remove excess water. The radish then needs to be sautéed in oil and spices.
- 2 long radishes (3 cups grated)
- 1 diced bell pepper (optional)
- 1/4 cup diced walnuts
- 3 tbsp oil of choice
- 1/2 tsp asafoetida (heeng)
- 2 whole dried red chilli peppers
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1.5 tsp red chili powder
(ground cayenne pepper)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tsp ground fennel (saunf powder)
- 1 tsp ground ginger (sonth)
- 1.5 tsp salt
- Wash, peel, and grate the radishes. Press and squeeze the water out from the grated radish.
- Wash and dice the bell pepper.
- Dice the walnuts.
- Select sauté on the instant pot and adjust to normal.
- Add oil to the pot.
- When the oil is hot add asafoetida.
- Add dried whole red chili peppers, and cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds splutter add the grated radishes, bell peppers, and walnuts to the pot.
- Stir and add red chili powder and water.
- Add fennel, ginger, and salt. Stir.
- Let the radish cook until the water gets absorbed and is completely dry. Keep stirring in order to avoid the radish from sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Press cancel when the radish is completely dry.
- Transfer the cooked radish in a serving bowl immediately.
- Serve with roti or steamed rice.
- Kashmiris typically use mustard oil for cooking.
- Bell pepper and walnuts are optional. They, however add a great flavor and texture to the dish.
- This recipe has been tried on a 6-quart instant pot. The proportions may vary depending on the size of the instant pot you choose to use.
- This dish is very spicy. If you would like to make it mild, reduce the amount of red chili powder as per your taste.
- Ground cayenne pepper and red chili powder can be used interchangeably as both of them make the dish spicy. So if you don’t have red chili powder you can use cayenne pepper instead.