Instant pot Butter Chicken – Instant Pot Murg Makhani or as everyone around me calls it “the restaurant style butter chicken recipe” is a creamy saucy chicken curry with warm spices and tomato sauce.
The flavors in this recipe are a dazzling escape unto themselves and this dish is ready in under 30 minutes. Without taking much time from your busy schedule, you can make this chicken rather quickly.
And guess what NO ONIONS!
If you have been following my blog, you probably already know that I lived and grew up in Mumbai eating AMAZING Indian food! I am incredibly picky about eating Indian food in restaurants in the U.S. I lament the lack of restaurants close to where I live, that serve proper Indian food like what I grew up eating.
To ensure that my family is not deprived of the variety and the diversity of Indian food, I am attempting to cook as many Indian dishes as I can at home.
What type of chicken do I use for the Butter Chicken – Instant Pot Murg Makhani?
Use boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts. I have used thighs in this recipe. You need to chop the chicken thighs into 2 to 3 – inch pieces.
What are the ingredients used in Butter Chicken – Instant Pot Murg Makhani?
Easy to find spices! Most of them are probably already in your pantry: ground coriander, ground cumin, garam masala, red chili powder, dried fenugreek leaves, and Kashmiri chili powder.
Ginger garlic paste:
I used the combined packaged ginger garlic paste available in the Indian store. You can also mince fresh ginger and garlic to make your own paste.
and heavy whipping cream.
How do we make Butter Chicken – Instant Pot Murg Makhani?
The authentic butter chicken recipe is creamy with chunks of grilled chicken. Moreover, the chicken needs to be marinated for a few hours with yogurt, lemon juice and red chili powder and then grilled.
However, my cooking is all about ease. I like to cook quickly without hampering the taste of the actual dish. Also, I attempted butter chicken without marinating the chicken and it turned out great exactly like the authentic butter chicken. I love the fact that cooking in the instant pot makes the chicken tender, moist, and flavorful.
Firstly, select sauté on the instant pot. Further, when the pot is hot add butter.
Furthermore, add in chicken and sauté for a few minutes until a white crust forms on the chicken. Keep stirring occasionally.
Add ginger garlic paste, and tomato sauce. The key to making a great curry is to let the tomato sauce sauté for at least 2 to 3 minutes before you throw in the spices. Cooking the sauce eliminates the raw tomato odor.
Once you have sautéed the sauce for a few minutes, add ground coriander, ground cumin, garam masala, salt, red chili powder and Kashmiri chili powder. Give it a good stir.
Close the lid and select manual for 7 minutes. When cooking is complete, quick release the pressure. Finally, select sauté and add heavy whipping cream, and kasuri methi. Keep stirring until desired consistency is reached. Should take about 2 to 3 minutes of sautéing.
Can I reduce the amount of heavy whipping cream?
I would recommend you try following this recipe as is the 1st time around. Depending on your taste and preferences you can reduce the amount of cream in the second attempt. Cream does the make the dish very flavorful and adds a great texture.
You can also substitute the heavy whipping cream with half and half.
Tried this recipe yet? Also, give us a rating, comment below in the reply section and let us know what you think. Moreover, follow us on Instagram @Fastcurries and Facebook @Fastcurries Tag us on instagram if you make this recipe.
Moreover, try some of our other recipes:
Instant Pot Kashmiri Chicken Aloo
Instant Pot Butter Chicken – Instant Pot Murg Makhani
- 4 tbsp butter (unsalted)
- 1.5 pounds chicken thighs (boneless and skinless)
- 3/4 tbsp ginger garlic paste (either freshly minced in equal quantities or store bought)
- 1.5 cups tomato sauce (15 oz canned)
- 1.5 tsp ground coriander (dhaniya powder)
- 1 tsp ground cumin (jeera powder)
- 3/4 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp red chili powder
- 3/4 tsp kashmiri chili powder
- 1 and 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp dried fenugreek leaves (slightly crushed with your palms) (kasoori methi/ kasuri methi)
- Chop the chicken into 2 to 3 inch pieces.
- Select sauté on the instant pot.
- Add butter to the pot.
- When the pot is hot, add the chicken. Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes until a white crust forms on the chicken. Keep stirring.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and sauté for a minute. Stir.
- Add the tomato sauce and let it sauté for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir
- Add ground coriander, ground cumin, garam masala, salt, red chili powder, and Kashmiri chili powder. Stir and sauté for a minute.
- Press cancel. Secure the lid on the pot. Select manual and cook at high pressure for 7 minutes.
- When cooking is complete, use quick pressure release to depressurize.
- Open the lid and select sauté.
- Add heavy whipping cream, dried fenugreek leaves and give it a good stir. Saute for about 2 to 3 minutes, until the desired consistency is reached.
- Serve over rice or naan (Indian flat bread)
You must log in to post a comment.
My first time cooking butter chicken and it was amazingly simple and tasty! ‘Fast Curries’ has the perfect Butter Chicken recipe which was quick, easy to follow, and simple. I can honestly say that I have used this recipe twice and the second time was better than the first! Next step, to introduce this dish to my friends!!
Thank you Fast Curries for the great recipe! I can’t wait to try another dish from your cook 📖.
Thank you for your feedback. So glad to hear that you liked the chicken. Cant wait to hear about your experiences with some of the other recipes.
One of the best butter chicken recipe I have come across ever! This is the one dish we order every time we eat out, its great to be able to make it at home now. The chicken turns out so tender it melts in your mouth, the flavors come together so well in this easy to follow recipe.