This instant pot Lemon Rice – Fenugreek – Methi Lemon Rice is delicious, aromatic, and bursting with flavors. Lemon rice is one of those items that my family eats on a regular basis. Adding fenugreek leaves to it makes it fragrant and flavorful.
Ingredients needed for the Instant Pot Lemon Rice – Fenugreek – Methi Lemon Rice?
I like to make this dish with long grain Basmati rice.
The tempering ingredients needed for this recipe are: mustard seeds, raw cashew nuts, ginger – minced, green chili peppers (serrano peppers), skinless black gram lentil (urad dal) split chickpeas lentil (chana dal), whole dried red chili peppers, curry leaves (kadi patta), and asafoetida.
Fenugreek leaves (Methi):
You can use either fresh or frozen methi. I prefer to use frozen methi. It saves me the time and trouble of cleaning, rinsing, and chopping the leaves. My cooking is all about convenience and ease. I buy frozen methi leaves from the Indian store. The brand I typically use is Deep. That is what is available in the Indian grocery store close to where I live.
I use salted and roasted planters peanuts. Since they were already roasted I added them in the end. If you don’t have roasted peanuts you can use raw skinless peanuts and throw them in with the raw cashew nuts and sauté them.
I use the the store bought bottled lemon juice for the convenience factor. You can use either freshly squeezed lemon juice or store bought…..whichever works better for you.
How are we going to make the Instant Pot Lemon Rice – Fenugreek – Methi Lemon Rice?
In the traditional lemon rice recipe the rice is cooked and the tempered ingredients are added to the rice. In this instant pot version we are going to make a one pot simple quick meal.
Firstly, select sauté on the instant pot and adjust to normal. Further, add in oil or ghee to the pot. When the pot is hot add the mustard seeds, black gram lentil (urad dal), and split chickpeas (chana dal).
Furthermore, when the mustard seeds splutter add curry leaves, asafoetida, ginger, cashew nuts, whole dried red chili peppers, and Serrano peppers.
Additionally, add in fenugreek leaves and sauté for a minute.
Then add rice, water, and stir well.
Add ground turmeric, salt, and lemon juice. Mix. Additionally, make sure the rice is submerged under the water.
Secure the lid on the pot and close the pressure-release valve. Select manual and cook at high pressure for 6 minutes. When cooking is complete, let the pressure naturally for 9 minutes. Then use quick pressure release to depressurize. Finally, add in roasted peanuts, cilantro and additional lemon juice (this is optional if you like your food extra tangy). Gently use a fork to fluff the rice.
Tried this recipe yet? Give us a rating, comment below in the reply section and let us know what you think.
Moreover, try some of our other recipes:
Instant Pot Kashmiri Chicken Yakhni
Instant Pot Kashmiri Chicken Aloo
Instant Pot Lemon Rice – Fenugreek – Methi Lemon Rice
- 2.5 tbsp oil of choice or ghee (clarified butter)
- 1.5 tsp mustard seeds (rai)
- 1 tbsp split and skinless black gram lentils
- 1 tbsp split chickpeas (chana dal)
- 15 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida (heeng)
- 1 tbsp ginger (freshly minced or packaged paste)
- 1 tbsp cashews (raw)
- 2 whole dried red chilli peppers (optional)
- 2 serrano peppers split lengthwise into two halves (green chili peppers) (optional)
- 3/4 cup dried fenugreek leaves
- 2 cups basmati rice (long grain) (rinsed and soaked for 15 minutes in 4 cups water)
- 2 and 1/4 cups water
- 3/4 tsp ground turmeric (haldi)
- 1 and 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (either freshly squeezed or bottled)
- 2 tbsp salted peanuts
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro (for garnish)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice to add on top (optional)
- Rinse and slit the Serrano peppers (green chili peppers) lengthwise into two halves.
- Rinse the basmati rice well. Then soak the rice in water for 15 minutes. Discard the water before cooking.
- Rinse and finely chop the cilantro.
- Select sauté on the instant pot and adjust to normal.
- Add oil or ghee to the pot.
- When the pot is hot add the mustard seeds, black gram lentil (urad dal), and split chickpeas (chana dal).
- When the mustard seeds splutter add the curry leaves, asafoetida, ginger, cashew nuts, whole dried red chili peppers, and Serrano peppers. Stir and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add the frozen fenugreek leaves and sauté for a minute.
- Add the rice and water and stir well. Make sure nothing is stuck to the bottom of the pot and scrape the bottom of the pot well.
- Add ground turmeric, salt, and lemon juice. Mix
- Press cancel.
- Secure the lid on the pot and close the pressure-release valve.
- Select manual and cook at high pressure for 6 minutes.
- When cooking is complete, let the pressure naturally for 9 minutes.
- Then use quick pressure release to depressurize.
- Open the lid.
- Transfer the rice in a serving bowl.
- Add roasted peanuts, cilantro and additional lemon juice (this is optional if you like your food extra tangy). Gently use a fork to fluff the rice gently.
- Serve hot as is or with with yogurt, raita, pickle, salad, or chutney.
- This recipe has been tried on a 6-quart instant pot. The proportions may vary depending on the size of the instant pot you choose to use.
- All the ingredients can be easily found in an Indian grocery store or on amazon.
- On a scale of 1 to 5, I would place this recipe at 3.5 in terms of spice levels. You can add or reduce the amount of Serrano peppers according to your preference.
You must log in to post a comment.