I have recently developed a love for tofu. Since figuring out that it tastes so good, I’ve been grilling it, eating it in salads, and making curry. I can’t get enough of the stuff. This Instant Pot Tofu Bhurji – Indian Style Scrambled Tofu is very easy to make and is delicious.
And, you need an Instant Pot of course.
What type of tofu do I use for Instant Pot Tofu Bhurji – Indian Style Scrambled Tofu?
I prefer using firm or extra-firm tofu. There is no need to press your tofu for this recipe; the water will cook out. You do however, need to discard the excess water that is in the tofu container.
How do I make this recipe?
First discard all the water from the tofu. Then crumble the tofu. I place it in a bowl and crumble it with my hands. I then mash it with a potato masher. You could also mash it with a fork.
First, select saute on the instant pot. Further, when the oil is hot add cumin seeds.
When the cumin seeds splutter add onions.
When the onions turn golden add ginger garlic paste, Serrano peppers. Also add tomatoes. Saute the tomatoes for about a minute or two until the tomatoes get mushy. Keep stirring.
Then add red chili powder, ground coriander, ground turmeric, salt, and cilantro. Stir well.
Add the crushed tofu. Continue sauteing until the water dries up. Mix well and keep stirring. Press cancel and serve hot.
How long does it last in the refrigerator?
I would say it lasts about 3 days in the fridge.
What can I serve this with?
Either bread or tortilla. It can served for breakfast or a side dish for lunch or dinner.
Tried this recipe yet? Give us a rating, comment below in the reply section and let us know what you think.
Try some of our other recipes:
Instant Pot Tofu Bhurji – Indian Style Scrambled Tofu
- Instant Pot
- 3 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/2 medium onion chopped
- 1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste (either freshly minced or bottled)
- 1 or 2 serrano pepper, small (hari mirch)
- 2 small roma tomatoes (chopped)
- 3/4 tsp red chili powder (cayenne pepper)
- 1 tsp ground coriander (dhaniya powder)
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric (haldi)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cilantro (fresh and finely chopped)
- 14 oz extra firm tofu
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- Chop the onions, tomatoes, and cilantro. Slit the Serrano peppers lengthwise into 2 halves.
- Discard the water from the tofu. Crumble the tofu with hand and then a potato masher.
- Select sauté on the instant pot and adjust to normal.
- When the oil is hot add cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds begin to splutter in about 30 seconds add onions. Keep stirring. When the onions turn golden in about 2 to 4 minutes add ginger garlic paste, Serrano peppers, and tomatoes. Saute the tomatoes for about a minute or two until the tomatoes get mushy. Keep stirring.
- Add red chili powder, ground coriander, ground turmeric, salt, and cilantro. Stir. Let it saute for 30 seconds.
- Then add the crumbled tofu and stir. Let it saute for a few minutes until the water evaporates. Keep stirring.
- Garnish with garam masala and stir. Press cancel. Serve hot with tortilla.